Emergency and Trauma Care Training
We have partnered with the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative to provide training to Ukrainian healthcare providers and others in emergency and trauma care
ENGLISH | UKRAINIAN
Working with partners in Ukraine, International Medical Corps identified areas to provide advanced training for medical staff, public safety professionals and the public, including how to manage emergencies, trauma and mass casualties, as well as cases related to chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and explosive (CBRNE) hazards.
International Medical Corps and the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative (HHI) then worked with the American College of Surgeons, the Emergency Nursing Association and the World Health Organization (WHO) to develop, distribute and deliver training sessions in Ukraine that so far have reached thousands of people in person.
- Advanced Trauma Life Support Fundamentals
- Trauma Nursing Fundamentals
- Prehospital Trauma Fundamentals
- Pediatric Trauma Fundamentals
- Stop the Bleed®
- Mass Casualty Management
- Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear and Explosive
Now, we have distilled the principles in these courses down to a series of training videos produced in Ukrainian (with English subtitles) that cover seven main areas.
- Advanced Trauma Life Support Fundamentals teaches the immediate management of injured patients, including airway maintenance, breathing and ventilation, circulation with bleeding control, disability/neurologic assessment, and exposure and environmental control.
- Trauma Nursing Fundamentals focuses on the trauma-nursing process, including initial rapid assessment and decisionmaking, airway and ventilation, and trauma interventions, such as spinal immobilization.
- Prehospital Trauma Fundamentals focuses on pre-hospital care with a goal of improving survival until a patient reaches a hospital, including scene and patient assessment, airway, breathing, ventilation and oxygenation, circulation, hemorrhage and shock, patients with disabilities and patient simulations.
- Pediatric Trauma Fundamentals provides physicians and nurses with practical knowledge and skills to deliver high-quality care to pediatric trauma patients.
- Stop the Bleed® teaches bystanders how to save lives if people nearby are bleeding severely but medical professionals have not yet arrived at the scene.
- Mass Casualty Management focuses on mass-casualty incident training at the individual level, as well as the logistical setup of healthcare facilities and the creation of mass-casualty plans at the facility and organizational level.
- Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear and Explosive provides information on how to care for victims of CBRNE attacks in pre-hospital and hospital settings, including training on decontamination, medical management, antidotes, donning and doffing of personal protective equipment, and medical staff safety.
These videos, which are designed to be used either as just-in-time or as refresher training, are designed by experts in medicine, public health and learning. They are meant to augment our in-person courses and reach a broader population, helping to strengthen local health systems by providing trusted, high-quality, open-access content.
When the series is complete, there will be 26 videos available for healthcare staff, public safety professionals and the general public on our YouTube site. Browse the playlist now.
As noted above, the videos are in Ukrainian with English subtitles, with transcripts available for each video. Please keep in mind that the videos deal with emergency and trauma care, so some viewers may find certain descriptions and images disturbing.
To find out more about International Medical Corps’ work in Ukraine, visit our Ukraine hub page.
Important Legal Information Regarding the “Save a Life” Trauma and Emergency Care Video Series >>