Updated November 2018
Your use of the Website is also subject to our Website Terms and Conditions: https://internationalmedicalcorps.org/terms-and-conditions.
- International Medical Corps, a non-profit organization with tax-exempt status as provided by the Internal Revenue Code under section 501(c)(3) and the California Revenue and Taxation Code Section 23701(d). International Medical Corps’ tax identification number is 95-3949646.
- What types of Personal Information do we collect?
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual, including:
- First and last name
- Postal address (including billing and shipping addresses)
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Donation amount
- Credit card, checking account or other billing information (collectively, “Billing Information”)
- Username and password
- Profile picture
We may need to collect and process these types of Personal Information to provide the requested Services to you, or because we are legally required to do so. If you do not provide the information that we request, we may not be able to provide you with the requested Services.
- How do we collect your Personal Information?
We and our service providers may collect Personal Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through the Services: We may collect Personal Information through the Services (e.g., when you sign up for a newsletter or make a donation).
- Offline: We may collect Personal Information from you offline, such as when you visit us, attend one of our fundraisers, make a donation over the phone or contact our customer service.
- From other sources: We may receive your Personal Information from other sources, such as public databases, joint marketing partners, social media platforms (including from people with whom you are friends or otherwise connected) and from other third parties. In addition, if you elect to connect your social media account to your Services account, certain Personal Information from your social media account will be shared with us, which may include Personal Information that is part of your profile or your friends’ profiles.
- How do we use your Personal Information?
We and our service providers may collect and process Personal Information about you for our legitimate business interests, including the following:
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, process your donations, send you acknowledgement letters and provide you with related customer service.
- To send administrative information to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions and policies, and marketing communications that we believe may interest you, such as newsletters, updates and other information regarding our Services, events, fundraising efforts and other matters.
- To personalize your experience on the Services by presenting products and offers tailored to you, and to facilitate social sharing functionality.
- For our business purposes, such as analyzing data; auditing; fraud monitoring and prevention; developing new products; enhancing, improving or modifying our Services; identifying usage trends; determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns; and operating and expanding our business activities.
- How may we disclose your Personal Information?
Your Personal Information may be disclosed:
- To our third-party service providers, which provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, donation fulfillment, information technology and related infrastructure, customer service, email delivery, auditing and other services.
- To third parties, to permit them to send you marketing communications from like-minded organizations, consistent with your choices (applicable only to US-based individuals).
- By you, on message boards, chat, profile pages and blogs, and other services to which you are able to post information and content (including, without limitation, our Social Media Pages). Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public and may be available to other users and the general public.
- Note: We do not sell, exchange or lend email addresses or phone numbers to third parties.
Other Uses and Disclosures
We may also use and disclose your Personal Information as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) to comply with applicable law (which may include laws outside your country of residence), to respond to requests from public and government authorities (which may include authorities outside your country of residence), to cooperate with law enforcement or for other legal reasons; (b) to enforce our terms and conditions; and (c) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others.
In addition, we may use, disclose or transfer your information to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
Statutory obligations and verification of your Personal Information
To comply with anti-money laundering, terrorism and sanctions laws and regulations, there are times when we need to confirm (or reconfirm) the name, date of birth, address and other details of our donors and business partners (including their directors, officers, board members, owners, shareholders, authorized representatives and affiliates). We may need to do this whether you are applying to be a new donor or business partner or have been one for some time. This information may be shared with third-party service providers for this purpose. We may also collect publicly available information to verify the details of donors and business partners. Some laws and regulations oblige us to disclose information to certain bodies with statutory powers. If at any time you do not provide us with the information about you or your circumstances that is required to comply with these laws and regulations, we may not be able to accept your donation or accept you as a business partner. It is important that you give us accurate information. We will check your details and if you give us false or inaccurate information and we suspect crime or fraud, we will record this and pass this to organizations involved in the prevention of crime and fraud.
- How do we protect your Personal Information?
The Websites use secure socket layer (SSL) encryption to protect the transmission of any Billing Information that you submit to us via the Websites when you use our secure online donation forms, and the Billing Information you provide to us is stored securely according to Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI-DSS).
- How long do we retain your Personal Information?
We will retain your Personal Information for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purpose(s) for which it was obtained. We will retain your Personal Information:
- For as long as we have an ongoing relationship with you (determined by such variables as delivery of products or services, an online account, and receiving our newsletter);
- As required by a legal obligation to which we are subject; or
- As advisable in light of our legal position (as determined by applicable statutes of limitations, litigation, audit or regulatory/government investigations).
- Where do we transfer your Personal Information?
Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and by using the Services you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have data protection rules that are different from those of your country. In certain circumstances, courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies or security authorities in those other countries may be entitled to access your Personal Information.
Additional information regarding the European Economic Area (EEA): Some of the non-EEA countries are recognized by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of data protection according to EEA standards (the full list of these countries is available here: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection/data-transfers-outside-eu/adequacy-protection-personal-data-non-eu-countries_en). For transfers from the EEA to countries not considered adequate by the European Commission, we have put in place adequate measures such as standard contractual clauses adopted by the European Commission to protect your Personal Information. You may obtain a copy of these measures by contacting us; see Section 14 below for our contact details.
- What rights and choices do you have?
Your choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information
We give you choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information for marketing purposes. You may opt-out from:
- Receiving electronic communications from us: If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us, you may opt-out by clicking “email preferences” in any of our emails and editing your preferences, or contact us with your request directly at either firstname.lastname@example.org or at 1 (424) 252-6008.
- Receiving mobile messages by replying “STOP” to a received text message, or contact us with your request directly at either email@example.com or at 1 (424) 252-6008.
- Our sharing of your Personal Information with affiliates for their direct marketing purposes: If you would prefer that we not share your Personal Information with our affiliates for their direct marketing purposes, you may opt-out of this sharing by contacting us with your request directly at either firstname.lastname@example.org or at 1 (424) 252-6008. In addition, first-time donors by mail have the option to opt out on the reply device by checking the box on the mailing. All other donors by mail have the option to opt out on a reply device, once a year, by checking the box.
- Our sharing of your Personal Information with unaffiliated third parties for their direct marketing purposes: If you would prefer that we not share your Personal Information with unaffiliated third parties for their direct marketing purposes, you may opt-out of this sharing by contacting us with your request directly at either email@example.com or at 1 (424) 252-6008.
We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt-out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, from which you cannot opt-out.
How you can access, change or suppress your Personal Information
If you would like to review, correct, update, suppress, restrict or delete Personal Information that you have previously provided to us, or if you would like to receive an electronic copy of your Personal Information for purposes of transmitting it to another company (to the extent this right to data portability is provided to you by applicable law), you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To ensure secure transfer, please do not email changes to your Billing Information. Rather, if you wish to update or delete any of your Billing Information, please contact the Resource Development Department at either email@example.com or 1 (424) 252-6008 to make those changes.
In your request, please make clear what Personal Information you would like to have changed, and whether you would like to have your Personal Information that you have provided to us suppressed from our database. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the Personal Information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
Please note, however, that certain Personal Information may be exempt from such access, correction and deletion/suppression requests, pursuant to applicable data protection laws or other laws and regulations. Also, please note that we may need to retain certain information for record keeping purposes, and that some residual information may remain within our databases and other records and will not be removed.
- Do we collect Personal Information from children?
No. The Website is not directed to persons under 16 years of age, and individuals under such age must not use the Website or submit any Personal Information in any way. International Medical Corps does not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under age 16.
- Do we use “cookies” on the Website?
- How do we respond to “Do Not Track” Signals?
We do not track users over time and across third-party websites to provide targeted advertising, and therefore we do not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals. Third parties cannot collect personally identifiable information about your online activities over time and across different websites when you use the Website.
- Do we collect any server statistics or other passive data via the Website?
Yes. We may collect general statistics to track user trends on the Website, and we may collect statistics using ad-serving technology. These statistics include, but are not limited to, hits to our servers, the types of browsers used to access the Website, page views, ad views and navigational patterns. In addition, our web servers automatically collect and store non-Personal Information, such as the name of the domain and host from which you access the internet, the internet protocol (“IP”) address of the computer you are using, the browser software you use and your operating system, the date and time you access the Website, and the internet address of the site from which you linked directly to the Website. We may also use “web beacons” to help identify when emails or other electronic communications sent by us to you have been received and read. Any of this information may be subject to disclosure pursuant to a subpoena or other legal process.
- What happens to feedback or other information that you submit or post to the Website?
Certain features of the Website may enable you to submit communications, suggestions, ideas, comments, questions or other information to us (collectively, “Feedback”) as well as post information to the Website for review by all users of the Website (“Posted Information”). Feedback and Posted Information becomes public information and is submitted at your discretion. When you submit Feedback or Posted Information, you expressly consent to our collection, use and disclosure of such information in any manner, and agree that such Feedback and Posted Information remains subject to the Website Terms and Conditions.
- What rules apply if you click over to third-party websites?
International Medical Corps
Attn: Resource Development
12400 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 1500
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Phone: 1 (424) 252-6008
- Additional information regarding the EEA
You may also:
- Lodge a complaint with a data protection authority for your country or region or where an alleged infringement of applicable data protection law occurs. A list of data protection authorities is available at http://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/article29/item-detail.cfm?item_id=612080.